All photography provided by Tyson Wine.
Treating the whole person
Naturopathy is a form of medicine that aims at treating the whole person: mind, body, and soul. This practice of medicine is governed by the 6 Naturopathic Principles that places the ultimate goal of treatment on optimal health and wellbeing of the patient. Naturopathic doctors have several different modalities of treatment at their disposal for creating an individualized treatment plan for each patient. Naturopathic doctors have training in clinical and laboratory diagnostic testing, nutritional medicine, lifestyle and behavioral counseling, botanical medicine, physical medicine, preventative care, and management of prescription medications. The use of these treatment protocols are guided by the Naturopathic Therapeutic Order in order to provide quality primary patient care.
1. Establishing foundations for health by identifying and removing obstacles to optimal health. Obstacles may include mental or emotional wellness, nutrient deficiencies, environmental or food allergies, substance use, heavy metal burden, etc.
2. Stimulate self healing mechanisms
3. Support and restore weakened systems
4. Address physical alignment through the use of physical medicine.
5. Natural options for controlling symptoms including botanical medicine and nutritional supplements.
6. Synthetic symptom relief through pharmaceuticals
7. Higher force interventions such as surgical procedures
1. Vis Medicatrix Naturae: The Healing Power of Nature
Naturopathic medicine recognizes the body's inherent ability to heal. One of our main focuses is to identify and remove obstacles that stand in the way of this ability and set up an optimal environment for health.
2. Primum Non Nocere: First Do No Harm
As stated, the body has an innate ability to heal and it is our job to recognize when no medicine is the best medicine of all. Using the least force of medical intervention allows us to avoid the harmful side effects of some medications when they are not yet needed.
3. Tolle Causam: Identify and Treat the Cause
We are trained to get at the root of the problem and find the underlying causes of illness. By doing this we can treat the cause rather than simply suppress or palliate symptoms.
4. Tolle Totum: Treat the Whole Person
In order to provide the environment for optimal health, the patient's mental, physical, and spiritual health must be addressed. Our treatment goals aim at balancing the daily struggles our mind, body, and spirit endure while keeping your priorities for health and wellbeing in focus.
5. Docere: Doctor as Teacher
It is our goal to educate you about your health and treatment options so that you are able to make informed decisions about your healthcare.
6. Praevenic: Prevention
As healthcare providers we recognize that prevention is often the best medicine. We evaluate the combination of lifestyle and genetic factors that lead to disease and chronic illness to help build an individualized plan that optimizes lifelong health.
Dr. Carrie Wine embraces the philosophy of naturopathic medicine while upholding standards of care. By blending this philosophy with western medicine, Dr. Wine can create individualized holistic health plans for her patients. Come visit Dr. Wine at Rooted in Health in Bellingham to learn more about the benefits of naturopathic medicine!